The Nutrition Minor requires a total of 25 credits. Students follow the requirements that are in place at the time they declare the minor. The requirements listed below are for students who enter the minor in AUT 2018 and beyond. See the sidebar for all Minor Overview information sheets.
Both of the following courses:
|NUTR 200||Nutrition for Today*(4)||Prerequisite: None|
|NUTR 400||Nutrition Seminar (1)||Prerequisite: None|
Two courses selected from the following:
|NUTR 302||Food Systems: Harvest to Health (5)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200|
|NUTR 303||Food Systems: Individual to Population Health (5)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200|
|NUTR 310||Nutrition and the Life Course (4)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200|
The minor requires a total of 25 credits. You must take enough elective credits that when combined with the credits from your core requirements, you have a minimum of 25 total credits.
Note: NUTR 400 (max 3) and NUTR 302, 303, or 310 may be used as electives if they are not already being counted toward core requirements.
|NUTR 141||Introduction to Foods (5)||Prerequisite: None|
|NUTR 241||Culinary Nutrition Science (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200; cannot be taken for credit if credit earned in NUTR 441|
|NUTR 390||Food Seminar (1)||Prerequisite: None|
|NUTR 405||Physical Activity in Health and Disease (3)||Prerequisite: either BIOL 118 or BIOL 220|
|NUTR 406||Sports Nutrition (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200|
|NUTR 411||Diet in Health and Disease (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200|
|NUTR 412||United States Food Systems Policy (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 302; juniors, seniors only|
|NUTR 420||Global Nutrition: Challenges and Opportunities (3)||Prerequisite: NUTR 200|
|NUTR 441||Food and Culinary Science* (3)||Prerequisite: general and organic chemistry; PCE course|
|NUTR 446||Food Safety and Health (3)||Juniors, seniors only|
|NUTR 465/BIO A 465||Nutritional Anthropology (3)||Prerequisite: BIO A 201|
|ANTH 361||Anthropology of Food (5)||Prerequisite: one 200-level ANTH course|
|ENV H 441||Food Protection (3)||Prerequisite: either CHEM 120, CHEM 142, MICROM 301, or MICROM 410|
|EPI 320||Introduction to Epidemiology (4)||Prerequisite or concurrent
registration: either BIOST 310, QMETH 201, Q SCI 381, STAT 220,
STAT/CS&SS/SOC 221, or STAT 311
|GEOG 271||Geography of Food and Eating (5)|
|GEOG 371||World Hunger and Agricultural Development (5)|
|GEOG 380||Geographical Patterns of Health and Disease (5)|
* Prerequisite for the Graduate Coordinated Program in Dietetics
- Minimum of 13 credits must be taken from the School of Public Health (NUTR, ENV H, or EPI courses).
- Minimum of 15 credits must be completed in 300- and 400-level courses.
- Minimum of 15 credits applied to the minor must be completed in residence through the University of Washington.
- Minimum of 15 credits applied to the minor must be taken outside of the student’s major requirements.
- Minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA is needed for courses applied toward the minor.
- Students must declare a major and have completed a minimum of 45 credits before declaring the minor.
- Students declare the minor with their major adviser.