Graduate Study


Please visit our calendar for details about the Online Information Sessions or Drop-In Advising Sessions scheduled monthly from April through November 2020.

Application Deadline

We enroll new students during autumn quarter only.  The application deadline for autumn 2021 is December 1, 2020.

How to Apply

Before submitting your application, verify you have read the minimum requirements.

Use the UW Graduate School Online Application provided in step 1 to submit the following materials. All information and materials must be provided using the online application. Please do not submit hard copies of any application materials by mail.

  1. Graduate School Application & Application Fee
    Go to
    Follow the procedures to create a new profile or log in if you have an existing account. Please select the following options when you are asked to select the “Application Type”and “Graduate Program” for your application.

    • Application Type: “Graduate”
    • Graduate Program: To apply for:
      Master of Science — Choose “Nutritional Sciences (MS)”
      Master of Public Health — Choose “Public Health – Nutritional Sciences (M of Public Health)”
      Doctor of Philosophy — From autumn 2020 through 2023, we are only accepting applications from students who are currently enrolled in our master’s programs

    After you have completed the application and uploaded the required materials, you will be asked to pay the application fee to submit and complete your application. The graduate school application fee is $85.

  2. Nutritional Sciences Application with Statement
    Save your completed application as a Word document or PDF and upload it to your UW Graduate School application.
  3. Graduate Coordinated Program in Dietetics (GCPD) Application
    Applicants applying for RDN training, the Graduate Coordinated Program in Dietetics (GCPD), should complete this additional application. Save your completed application as a Word document or PDF and upload it to your UW Graduate School application.
  4. Scanned or PDF Copies of Your UNOFFICIAL Transcripts
    These can be copies that you have scanned and saved as a PDF or downloaded from a university website and uploaded to your UW Graduate School application. If you are admitted, official transcripts will be requested before you enroll. Do not mail hard copies of your transcripts as it slows down application processing. When completing the application, be sure to list schools where in progress courses are being taken. If you have prerequisite courses in progress during fall quarter/semester, you can upload new transcripts (and email a new application to when you receive your grades and no later than December 30.

  1. Three Letters of Recommendation
    Please provide contact information for your recommenders where requested in the Graduate School application. Each recommender will then receive an email that provides instructions and a link to submit their letter electronically. You should follow up with your recommenders to ensure that letters are submitted by the application deadline. Letters may come from employers, professors, or previous colleagues; NOT from family members or spouses.
  2. GRE Scores – Optional for 2021
    Because of COVID-19 impact to testing, applicants for autumn 2021 admission are not required to submit GRE general exam scores. Applicants who have already taken the GRE are invited to include their scores if they feel it enhances their application. Applicants who do not include a GRE score will not be viewed negatively. If submitting scores, they must be sent directly from ETS to the University of Washington, institution code 4854. Scores over 5 years old are not accepted. We do not accept other tests, such as the MCAT or GMAT, in place of the GRE. November 15 is the last date to take the GRE to ensure scores will arrive by the December 1 deadline.
  3. International Applicants: TOEFL Scores or Other Required English Proficiency Exam Score
    Official TOEFL scores must be requested from ETS and submitted to the University of Washington. The official scores will be transmitted electronically to the UW. Please see the ETS website for additional information on sending TOEFL scores. November 15 is the last date to take the TOEFL to ensure scores will arrive by the December 1 deadline. If you are using another test that satisfies the English Proficiency Requirement, please follow the instructions from the test provider to submit official scores to the University of Washington.

If you have any questions about the application, please email us at