I’ve heard that UW offers a Nutritional Sciences Minor. What can you tell me about it?

Visit the Nutritional Sciences Minor page for an overview. Contact the minor adviser with any questions.

How do I “get into” or officially declare the Nutritional Sciences Minor?

  1. Complete at least 45 total credits.
  2. Declare a major.
  3. Meet with your major adviser to declare the minor. Only the adviser in your major department may sign the form to declare a minor; this is to ensure students meet satisfactory progress requirements.

Note: There is no deadline for declaring the minor, except that you cannot declare the minor after the deadline for applying to graduate. In other words, you cannot declare the minor after the third week of the quarter in which you intend to graduate.

What are the basic steps in completing the Nutritional Sciences Minor?

  1. Review the minor requirements.
  2. Meet with your major adviser to discuss your academic plan and officially declare the minor.
  3. Contact the minor adviser with any questions and to make sure that all requirements are met, including certifying that at least 15 credits in the minor do not overlap with your major.

Does UW have a Nutritional Sciences Major?

No. Only a minor in Nutritional Sciences is available to undergrads at UW; there is currently no major program. However, UW offers an MPH in Public Health Nutrition, an MS and PhD in Nutritional Sciences, and an RD Training Program. More information about graduate programs can be found at the Graduate Study page.

Do any of my classes from community college/transfer credits count towards the minor?

Maybe. Basic human nutrition courses completed at other schools may transfer to complete the NUTR 200 (formerly NUTR 300) requirement. Other courses must be evaluated by the minor adviser. See the UW Equivalency Guide for information about how certain courses will transfer to UW and read the Office of Admissions’ Transfer Credit Policies page.

How do I register for NUTR 441 (Food and Culinary Science)?

NUTR 441 is offered through UW Professional and Continuing Education. Because of this, NUTR 441 is not covered by regular UW tuition costs and requires you to register and pay separately from other courses at UW.

I’m a Public Health Major. How does the overlap requirement affect me?

University policy requires that a minor has a certain percentage of unique classes that are not being counted toward a different degree. This means that the Nutritional Sciences Minor needs to have 15 unique credit hours that are not counted toward the requirements for your major. For students majoring in Public Health, avoiding issues with this requirement can be tricky, so it is important to meet with your major and minor advisers to assist you with schedule planning.

What do students who minor in Nutritional Sciences usually major in?

Students who minor in Nutritional Sciences come from a wide variety of majors, including Sociology, Public Health, Biology, Business, and Anthropology.

Does the Nutritional Sciences Minor fulfill all of the prerequisites for the UW Nutritional Sciences graduate programs?

No. The Nutritional Sciences Minor is a great way to gain exposure to the field of Nutritional Sciences, but it does not fulfill the prerequisites required for the UW Nutritional Sciences graduate programs. For more information on our graduate program prerequisites, visit the Admission requirements and prerequisites page.

Can I complete the Nutritional Sciences Minor if I’m currently a student at UW-Bothell or UW-Tacoma?

Yes! Per the Cross-Campus Registration page, “A student may complete the requirements of a minor offered by another UW campus. Cross-campus minors are declared via the Change of Major/Minor form, submitted to the student’s home campus (not the campus offering the minor). Students should note that UW-B and UW-T minors, unlike Seattle-campus minors, may have admission requirements. Also, most or all the courses required by a minor will be available only at the campus offering the minor.”